Now that you’ve claimed your digital presence, you might be wondering what’s next for your online marketing strategy. Directories for your website and blog are a logical next step to amp up your social marketing strategies. Read on to learn more!
What is a Directory? Directories differ from search engines in that they are based on categorization, and not keywords. As a user moves through a directory, they start at a more generalized category and move into more and more specific sub-categories. Directories can be specific to industries–such as healthcare or technology–or be organized by content type–such as blogs or websites or even business locations.
Why Use Directories? There are quite a few benefits to using directories in your business marketing online. Strategy can change based on your specific goals, but a major goal of directories is to create quality backlinks to your site or blog. Backlinks are an important part of a comprehensive SEO strategy, and directories are a simple way to increase them. Links from directories will be indexed by search engines, adding another level of visibility to you and your business.
In addition to search engines visiting directories, people do as well. Depending on the quality of the directory, you could see several referrals from a directory or very few.
What to Look for in a Directory. There are lots of directories out there. So which are right for your social web strategies? Here are some things to look for when researching website and blog directories:
- Description. Look for directories that give you room to include a short website or blog description. This area is important because you’ll want to include your keywords in this section. Length may vary, but even a sentence or two is better than nothing.
- Categories & Tags. As you determine where
- Links. The number of links can vary from directory to directory, but generally the more links you can include, the better. Pick your top pages, such as your homepage or about page, and link there for best results.
Paid vs. Free. Some directories are free, while others are not. Fees can be for premium locations (such as above regular listings on a page), additional links or copy, or a permanent listing (compared to a temporary listing). Before you start listings, know how much it costs and what kind of content you get at each price tier. Sometimes a paid listing may be worth it, especially if it is a credible, industry specific directory.
Our Top Picks. While there are many industry-specific directories out there for you to consider, here are some of our favorite picks for general website directories:
- Best of the Web and Best of the Web Blog Search: BotW is one to the top directories online, and is very selective, listing only mature and valuable links.
- Bloggeries is a well-respected blog directories.
- Directory World is a wide-covering website directory that is human edited.
- DMOZ Open Directory Project is one of the older directories around. It is human edited and free to suggest URLs.
- Yahoo! Directory is a massive, free-to-submit directory.
What role have directory listings played in your social marketing strategies? Let us know in the comments!